Thursday, May 31, 2007

Yellowstone National Park






Got up early and went into the park around 0730, before the tourists, you know. This is one big ass park. I don't know what I was expecting but this is one big ass park. After I entered the park through the West entrance, I had to drive about 24 miles to get to Old Faithful, which is really what I wanted to see. I have always heard of it but didn't see it until today. There are benches in a semi-circle around OF about 50 yards away. I only had to wait about 20 minutes before it erupted. It was very exciting. I got a few pics, one of which I'll post here.
Funny story, on the way to Old Faithful I was rocking along at 45 mph which is the speed limit. Yeah, right. Anyway, up ahead I see this line of cars stopped dead in the road. I pull up behind the last car and up ahead I see a herd of bison just moseying down the road. Paying the cars no never mind. I was the only motorcycle in line. It never occurred to me that they might get curious about me and bump me or whatever. Well, they didn't but I went down just the same. I put the bike in neutral. Had my right foot on the brake. Stood up, weight on my left leg, balancing the bike while I dug in the tank bag for my camera. OK, got out the camera, looked back at the cute baby bison you see in the pic, swung around to get that pic and lost my balance. The bike was stopped mind you. There's that feeling when you know something is about to happen and you don't want it to but you know it's going to happen anyway? Imagine it. I swung around, lost my balance, felt the bike leaning to the left, had the camera in hand, and DOINK. The bike just kind of settled to the ground on it's left side. Quite ignominious. I sling the camera around my neck and try to pick up the bike. I don't have the leverage I need and I'm not 20 years old any more and I don't get it the first time. How embarassing. I get squared around and lever the bike upright again none the worse for wear. I sling my right leg over the saddle just as the line of cars was starting to move. I didn't make eye contact with anybody, just acted like me dropping the bike was an everyday thing. They couldn't see the fire engine read my face was because of the helmet.
After I saw OF I took the long was round the park. I spent 3 hours riding. There is such beauty here. You can see where the wildfires were. Lots of standing dead trees with new growth smaller trees.
It's just beautiful and I highly recommend it.
Tomorrow I plan to do Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana then on the Fort Collins, Colorado. Beartooth is rated one of the top 10 rides in the county. I may not blog tomorrow as I will be visiting family and it might be rude. So, if you don't hear from me, not to worry.

3 comments:

xxxooo said...

I loved the pics and understand that a tripod would be the least of your concerns at that juncture. I'm sure you went down with grace and it looked totally natural and planned. You are the consummate planner. I look forward to seeing additional pics, annotated with verve :) Enjoy the drive tomorrow and your cousin et al. You're correct, blogging might be in appropriate during the visit. Get a good night's sleep and up with the chickens, no doubt. You're a real road warrior, unlike the victims of weekly commutes to destinations far from home (which are more hot and humid) on American Airlines. Who knows what kind of status of admiration you'll obtain from all your blogging followers by the end of this feat. You're the man!
BTW - tonight's post was much more interesting than last :)

Renaud said...

Hi Kevin: I bet you didn’t look as foolish as you think when you stumbled. But I may be wrong. Ha ha ha. The pics are amazing. I'm feeling so wimpy right now. You’re out there conquering the world and I'm in the surgery center drinking coffee, only dreaming of adventure. But I am becoming an amazing wiz at Spider Solitaire.
Off to Granbury this wknd with the bad boys. I have printed your notes for Sonya to read because she is trying to keep up with your travels. Have fun and see you soon.

Renaud said...

Sonya says you're a sexy biker dude