Monday, May 28, 2007

McBride, BC to Whitefish, Montana

Safe and sound in Whitefish. 565 miles today. Today I took off from McBride at 0630. I rode through Jasper National Park and Banf National Park down the Ice Fields Highway. It was a beautiful ride. I was going to stop and take photos but how many snow capped mountains do we need to see? The scenery was just spectacular. The roads were great too. Lots of twisties in the mountains. Lots of fun on the bike.
I have another border crossing story:
I pull up to the US/Canadian border on Hwy 93 about 40 miles North of Whitefish. I am the ONLY vehicle there. The ONLY one. It's a little confusing. The signage leaves much to be desired. Anyway, I am coming into the booth area when I see there is only one booth open. I have my eye on the person in the booth and totally blow through the stop sign and roll right up to the booth. You know, this stop sign is the one where you wait till they motion you forward. Remember, I was the only vehicle in sight. When I pulled up to the booth the Customs lady came running out of the booth waving her hands over head like a lunatic. Hold that thought.
I need to tell you about this lady. If anyone watches Reno 911 you've seen her. She's tall, slender, wears aviator sunglasses and is a total ditz. This customs lady is a carbon copy.
She says "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Do you know you just blew through a stop sign?! It was probably because you were going too fast!! The speed limit in this compound is 15 MPH!!" She wanted me to stop at the stop sign so she could call me forward. Remember, I am the ONLY vehicle in sight.
I said, "Well, the signs were a little conf.........You know what? You're right. I'm sorry. I'll be more careful next time." I mean after all, she IS the law in these parts.
I sh_t you not, she hooks both thumbs in her belt, pops her gum, and struts back in the booth like Barney Fife. Comes back out with a clip board. She looks me up and down, looks the bike front to back. Remember she has these, big ass aviator glasses on, popping her gum, and says
"This your motorcycle?"
"Um, yes." Anybody that knows me knows that I am DYING to f_ck with this woman.
"How long you been in Canada?"
"6 days"
"So that means you went in, what, (she counts on her fingers, yes really) last Toosday?"
"That's right"
"You got any fruits, vegetables or meat on you?" Remember, I'm on a bike.
"No.............Ma'am."
"Got any weapons?"
"No"
"Nothing for personal protection?"
"No" She is KILLING me.
"What's in that case on top there?"
"My laptop."
"Your laptop what?"
"Computer"
"What about that other thing you got strapped on there? What's in that?"
"An extra jacket and shoes, rain gear, 3 stuffed animals for my nieces, a nuclear weapon" (I didn't really say the nuclear weapon part).
It's all I can do to keep a straight face. She popping that gum the whole time. I swear she acts just like Barney. I almost asked her where her bullet was.
She finally finishes with me. "REMEMBER!" She says. "The speed limit in 15 MPH in my compound!" As she says this she is waving a finger in my face.
"Yes, ma'am."
I ride off laughing like a hyena.
Tomorrow is in Whitefish too. If I happen not to update the blog. Don't worry.

1 comment:

xxxooo said...

Reminds me of Francis McDermott as Marge in Fargo. Yah, you betcha. Looks like a beautiful day in Whitefish tomorrow (40-70); mostly clear with NO RAIN. It'll be nice riding through the park and not having all your gear on board. The question remains, "are you going to christen the tripod?" Have a wonderful day off tomorrow and eat a nice big breakfast :) to fuel that hunky bod.