Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Chilliwack, BC to Prince George, BC




Safe and sound in Prince George, BC. I must be acclimating to the time change. I didn't get on the road till 0700 this AM. I rode Canada Hwy 1 North through the Fraser River Valley. It was beautiful, majestic, sweeping, I could go on but you get the idea. The Fraser River is beautiful. It is a fast running, wide river. A river that means business. A river thats in a hurry. The roads in Canada are great, so far. I was on 2 lane for 90% of the day and never got stuck behind slow vehicles because they have plenty of passing lanes and it's the law that you stay to the right unless passing. I think it is in TX too, isn't it? They obey that law here. Very nice. Another thing, they have some HUGE trucks on the roads here. I have seen trucks that work the Australian Outback in movies, I think they call them Road Trains (?). These are that big. I see regular 18 wheelers but these huge trucks are enough to block out the sun.
I am starting to meet bikers on their way to Hyder/Stewart. When I stopped for gas the clerk remarked that "There's a lot of you guys out today, eh?" When they put the little "eh?" at the end of everything you know they are speaking Canadian.
It's off to Stewart tomorrow. I should have more and more interesting pics starting tomorrow.

4 comments:

xxxooo said...

Beautiful pictures - thanks for sharing. It's very different from the palm trees out my windows. Looks like a nice riding day tomorrow to Stewart (50-60). You've made it tomorrow! YEAH! All that preparation has really paid off. You knew it would and now here's your reward. Enjoy the ride tomorrow. You'll get there in plenty of time. Take relish the experience as opposed to mach-10. Bring home a well-rested, encouraged, accomplished man rather than one who's rode hard and put up wet (and sleepy). You chose a feat that few have even considered and you're going to conquer it. Kudos to you for the courage to dream and the tenacity to execute. Sounds like a hero to me.

Vicki said...

This is my second attempt at this, seems like I'm doing something wrong. Anyway I know that you are seeing some beautiful country and it will only get better! Glad you are having a great ride! We miss you and so do your patients! Vicki

Oscar said...

Hey, Kev, thanks for the moose jerkey. I remember the TV series "Northern Exposure" (Rob Morrow & Janine Turner), in which one guy always was chewing on a piece of the stuff. I think he had black teeth but that could've been a hygiene issue. Keep posting more pics of that glorious scenery! You're almost there, man! Take care.

Stasi said...

Hey Kevin
You are such a good writer! It is so intereseting and I don't usually like to read. Danny and I
were wondering
if the yellow jumpsuit is for safety so you can be seen or just for the elements. I said so you can be seen and no one will hit you, but
I guess your interigator thought you were the Unibomber! Keep wearing it because there are some terrible drivers on the road,like me for instance.