Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ogallala, Nebraska to Heyburn, Idaho

First, the news.
Safe and sound in Heyburn, Idaho.
Now the numbers: 747.0 miles Ogallala to Heyburn. I did not reset the GPS computer so here are the total numbers to include yesterday and today.
1601.3 miles Dallas to Heyburn
Driving average (while the bike was moving) 76.8 MPH
Overall average (including stops) 69.0 MPH
Max Speed 92.7 MPH (How did THAT happen?)
Driving time (time on the bike) 20 hours 50 min 41 sec.
These GPS things are great, aren't they? They give you so many numbers your eyes start to cross.
I intentionally set the trip up with high mileage in the first 2 days. I have learned through experience and anecdotally that, if you are going to get anywhere far away (Alaska, maybe?) you have to do big miles the first few days. You're fresh, you're excited and it's doable. That said, the mileage I can do will now fall off. Why, you ask? My butt hurts. In fact tomorrow is a short day for me, only 350 miles or so. I should average 400 to 500 miles per day until I return to Dallas June 3rd. I'll tell you what. As much fun as it was, I'm glad to get these 2 days behind me. No pun intended.
I took off early this morning, around 0530. The sky was just starting to color behind me as I headed West. This is the best time of the day to ride. It's still. Relatively few vehicles on the road with you. In fact, I burned completely through my first tank of gas (200 miles, give or take) with the cruise control set on 85MPH. Never had to click it off. It was GREAT. Lots of fun. When it gets later there are more cars and trucks on the road, the wind kicks up and starts beating on you. It's still fun, just not as much.
Saw some pretty country today. Mountains in Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho. I started getting chilly in Western Wyoming so I checked the altitude on the GPS. I was at 8700 feet. No wonder I was cold. I stopped at the next rest stop and put on my fleece pullover and closed all the vents in my riding suit. Warmed right up.
Well, I guess that's all for now. The little girl who checked me in at the Super 8 (OK, she might have been 20) told me the best restaurant within 10 miles is "Guadalajara".
OMG.
Idaho Mexican food.
Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Oscar said...

Man, you've put on some miles! Idaho is practically on the other side of the country. Speaking from experience, I'd avoid "Mexican" food at that altitude and stick with pommes de terre...fried, mashed, twice-baked, scalloped, whatever. Remember you're wearing a riding suit and helmet...not things you can easily rip off at 80 MPH! Hey, when you ride through British Columbia, pick me up some moose jerkey. Be safe, Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin, love your blog--you are a good writer. You've blown across half the country in 2 days! Wow! Be safe!