Friday, May 25, 2007

Hyder, Alaska







Oh, man. I have planned and planned. Several months if not 5 or 6. I don't know what I was expecting. What I have found in Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK (they are less than a mile apart) is 2 villages that live what can only be described as hard scrabble. These are not 2 quaint fishing villages. These people have hard lives. The main industries are logging and mining. Gold, I think. That said, the scenery is magnificent. I tried to get some good shots of it but doubt I can do it justice. You will notice in one of the pics that there is a beautiful mountain. In the next pic there is a pic of that same beautiful mountain with a sawed-off rusting logging boat. This is the view out my motel room (which is really nice, I might add). I asked about these little boats. They are used for tending the big flotillas of logs as they are taken to the sawmill. You will notice from the pic that the boat is heavily reinforced. Like an army tank that floats. Another of the pics shows more bikes. You see? There are other knuckleheads out there who like to ride long distances. I have met guys here who came the LONG way round to get here. There are some guys here who are here to complete a 49 state ride in 10 days. They do around 9000 miles in those 10 days. Yes, it can be done. They do the lower 48 and then Hyder is the 49th. That's how Hyder Seek got started. Hyder is the southernmost town in Alaska. So, it was a natural for making it the last stop on a 49 state ride. All these rides are certified through the Iron Butt Association. Stop laughing. Really. Www.iba.com if anybody is interested. On the way up here I fulfilled the requirements for a Bun Burner ride which is 1500 miles in less than 36 hours. You can look it up. Having a great time. It's beautiful here. There is a dinner tonight and one again tomorrow then Sunday I'm off to McBride, BC. I am also posting the official group pic from Hyder Seek 2007 obtained from Ayres Adventures.com. I am on almost the far left, couple of guys from the front in the day-glo orange rain jacket. I am lopping off the loop which would have taken me up to the Yukon. I talked to a guy who had been that way and he told me he wouldn't do it again. Not worth it. I was already thinking that way and that was all I needed. I'm going to head to Whitefish, Montana instead and take a full day to do Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This trip is amazing. You have my admiration, big brother. You are, indeed, a good writer. I find myself wondering about you and looking forward to the next installment. You should submit your blog to a travel or motorcycle magazine. After that, the book! I can't wait for tomorrow. I hope Dad didn't find out about the bear . . .

xxxooo said...

I hope you didn't eat too much salmon while getting in shape for the ride, because you've never had salmon like the salmon up North; perhaps a dinner of halibut (my fave). It's too cold yet, I'd imagine for oysters. Not that you'll have much to worry about, but you do have a weight limit on that bike dear heart. BTW - reindeer sausage is bueno.
Wonderful pics today but where are you in them? Is the tripod broken or did you dump it?
Just give me fair warning before you decide to do the 49-state gig! I'll time it with 10 days in Belize (NOT).
Your get togethers and introductions will be like a bunch of military veterans rehashing their lives. No one but the bunch of you ambitious loons will be able to relate to such a conversation. Drink it up. And I trust you'll sample the plethora of micro-brews while your at it. Have a wonderful time and keep adhering to the sign postings for road closed due to snow.
Bring home wonderful memories, new friends and a lifetime of experiences. You're awesome and a hero by any standard.

Floyce said...

Reading your blog has been a highly enjoyable. As many have said, you are a very good writer. I look forward to the next page. Great pictures, too. Congrats on meeting the Bun Burner requirement.